Meeting on 27.05.2017

Latest News

A meeting of the Physiology Alumni Association, Serampore College will be held on 27th May,2017 at 4 p.m.in the Lecture Theatre,Bio-1.

details

The Serampore Mission of the Baptist Missionary Society was established on 10 January 1800, when William Carey had already spent about seven years in North Bengal since his arrival in Calcutta from Britain on 11 November 1793. He joined the team of other missionaries including Joshua Marshman and William Ward.

The Serampore College (currently accredited A grade by NAAC) was founded in 1818 by Reverend Dr William Carey, one of the liberal activists for whom blossomed the Bengal renaissance is the first and till the only institution in India where religion and secular branches are taught simultaneously. The college is the first in Asia to possess the authority to grant degrees. In 1857, this college was affiliated to University of Calcutta. In 1910, Dr Howell re-affiliated the Science-Arts department to University of Calcutta with the active support of Prof. Stephen, Inspector of Colleges and Dr Angus, the then Principal. In 1949, the first Indian Principal, C. E. Abraham introduced Biology at intermediate level. Physiology was introduced as general degree course in the year of 1967 and Physiology Honours course was introduced in 1996.

The college was granted permission for introduction of M. Sc. course in Human Physiology (Semester System) by West Bengal Higher Education Council (vide letter no. PG-CU/MS/95/SCHE/2009 dated 13 April 2009) and University of Calcutta (resolution of the Syndicate dated 29/07/2009 vide item no. 43). The department introduced the above affiliated course from the session 2010 – 2011.

Request for Membership

Get in Touch

Phone: (033) 2662-2322
Fax: (033) 2662-3816
Email: info@scphysiolalumni.org